Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Waiting around

A couple of times I have thought to write something here, but then kept putting it off because tomorrow I might actually know something about what is going on with me. And since that is the biggest thing I have going on, I was putting off writing something. Which is just so silly, because in the meantime lots of great stuff has been happening. Eagle and I spent the weekend up in Woodruff, WI with my favorite pair of initials, D & G. And it was so so good. It was relaxing and fun and sunny and swimmy and s'morey. And lots of flesh was left a bit seared, but all in all quite delightful. Eagle started prepping D for Vegas and he did well with basic strategy pretty quickly. (2 weeks til Vegas! Hot damn!)

On the way home Eagle and I started a conversation about what we expect from marriage and then specifically our spouse. Questions like 'What does your vision of 'wife/husband' provide for you?' 'What do you want our marriage to be about?' 'What does having a spouse vs boyfriend/girlfriend fulfill?' Stuff like that. Above and beyond all the interesting answers that came out of that, I noticed that nowhere in my life have I heard those questions asked. Never heard them growing up, no one has ever asked me that, never heard anyone talking about it, etc. And they seem like really important questions. And as I have mentioned before, its a perfectly acceptable thing to have marriage be no different than dating, except that now its harder to break up, but I dont think people actually want that out of marriage. Or maybe they do. Its certainly easier than confronting the possible answers. We are certainly going to dwell in the inquiry of that for awhile longer. Any married folks out there have their own answers for these? Would love to hear them in the comments.

1 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, Blogger messages said...

You know, since you mentioned D as one of your favorite initials I'll tell you something that he told me a very long time ago that became the top of my list (in answering your and Eagle's questions): "I want to be in a relationship where I can take honesty for granted."

I like that.

The ability to laugh at my jokes is a good one too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home