Friday, July 08, 2005

Downloads

Strangely, when I get new emails from iTunes I rarely have an interest in looking at them, while knowing full well that if I dont buy an album while it is still on the homepage of iTunes, I probably never will. Anyway, I was on iTunes the other day looking up Sufjan Stevens because folks just wont stop talking about him, and since his current album is Illinois and I am a patriot, I thought I would look into it. Anyway, no such luck. Nothing. But lo and behold, an email from iTunes 3 days later with a link to Illinois. This morning I downloaded and set it up on the pod to listen to while reading on the train.

And I just couldnt pick up my book. The album is, so far, fantastic. And intruiging. And how did he write a song about Gacy and get away with it. And how great is the song title "The Black Hawk War, or How to demolish and entire civilization and still feel good about yourself in the morning, or We apologize for the inconvenience but you are going to have to leave, or I have fought the Big Knives". I am going to put myself out there to say this is really good. As a comparision, I was thinking it was like Nick Drake decided to do a Frank Zappa album and pussed out on going all the way, but thats a good thing because Nick Drake should never really attempt a Zappa album. And I am only half way through the album. I'll let you know if I change my mind.

2 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Blogger Donaldson said...

I relize I'm about to lose a lot of indie guy music cred here, but NOBODY shouls try to do a Zappa album. With the exception of "My Guitar Wants to Kill You Mama", I have very little patience for the Zap these days.

I am awaitng hearing Illinois when I get home tonight-ish.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger messages said...

Casmir Pulaski Day is my favorite. It gets me everytime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home