Thursday, January 05, 2006

Rolling with the punches

So, I was hoping that this would be a blog about how the surgery went, some funny story (probably the one where I forgot to zip and button my pants and walked around the hospital completely oblivious) and other general nonsense. Unfortunately, on our way to dinner with Chivas and Improv for Chivas's birthday, we got that news that indeed, all our wedding pictures are gone. They couldnt save anything. Not a single pic. Both myself and the photographer were crying. (well and Eagle too of course.) Man, I just didnt really think they would be gone. I thought it would be a great dramatic story that got resolved. Part of me is still in shock. Our freaking wedding photos. Wow. So anyway, we are looking for a second opinion - just in case. If anyone knows anyone who would look at the drive, we'd love some advice. And if someone reading this has pics from the wedding, we would really love to see them.
And we are thinking about some solutions to this, but right now we are just being sad about it.

The bright side of this is that really, nothing went particularly well about the whole getting married process, from the ring, to the dress not fitting, to the sound system not working, to the bridesmaid who is no longer speaking to me, to these pictures. Really, lots went really wrong. But wow, being married has been awesome. Its so nice to be continually delighted by the strength of our marriage. And as we wanted, being married really changed everything. Life was astoundingly different from the moment we were pronounced husband and wife. Even the little things. I sleep different because now I sleep next to my husband who promised his life to me. Like that, all over my life. A complete state change. And nothing changes that. Excellent.

3 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, Blogger messages said...

There's this great moment in Shakespeare in Love where, towards the end, the play is being put on and the prologue is being delivered, The actor within the movie has a stutter and has trouble starting the opening lines, "Two households, both alike in dignity..."

Everyone is cringing, waiting, holding their breath and then he goes, the play, the machine starts and it begins.

It's a lot like that. It sputters, stutters and you have to turn the key, roll it over. The image of a motorcycle comes to mind, how you have to kick it to start.

And then it starts.

And then you just go.

 
At 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Babe, I can't do much about the ring, the sound system or the bridesmaid, but I can say that I thought your dress looked fab, no problems there. Michelle

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Almost all of my friends are married now, and most of them had the traditional kind of wedding (including me). I can tell you that across the board, NO ONE felt that the wedding went well, and all of them look back on their wedding photos and point out everything they'd change if they could, all the people who were fighting at the wedding or reception, and all the people who are no longer speaking. At least this way you won't have the visuals to remind you of what went wrong, and you'll have nothing but your marriage and the happiness that followed the wedding to remind you of everything that went right. I know that's putting an amazingly Pollyanna-ish twist on it, but it's kind of true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home