Monday, February 28, 2005

Weekend Update

Lots and lots of really great goings on this weekend. Started off Sat morning morning with my very first trip to Ann Sathers with D&G. Been hearing about those cinnamon rolls for years now, and even have an Ann Sathers in the building I work, but had never actually had one. Verdict? Gooooood. However, my stomach is still reeling from the flu and I couldnt then enjoy the yummy potato sausage I had also ordered. It made for a sad meal. Then we trotted over to Evanston to see Finding Neverland. Having been a fan since his 21 Jump Street days, there are those moments when I wonder if my fascination with Depp should've gone the way of my Ralph Macchio and Morton Harket obsessions. But no, I still swoon. And what a great film. I think G and I cried almost all the way through it.

********************************

Sunday morning the Eagle and I went out for breakfast and had a talk we've been meaning to have for quite some time. When both of us took an honest look at our life, in this moment in time, we both admitted that this was not how we wanted our engaged life to look. Engagement, like everything else in life, is only a big deal if you say its a big deal. And we say its a big deal, an amazing thing with lifelong implications. And what it seemed to devolve into was something to do, and for me specifically, something to handle alone and feel guilty about asking Jamie to spend his small amount of free time on. We both realized that this rite of passage could easily just drift by us and be something we remembered as a missed opportunity. We decided it was time to intervene. So today (as best as I know right now) Jamie is quitting his job. And we are both really, really excited. We dont really know what he is going to be doing next, and for the most part arent terribly worried about it.

*********************************

So about those Oscars, the thing that I have been mulling over is just how terrible Hilary Swanks speech was. In a sea of rather delightful speeches and entertainment, hers was a major dud. Way to be a machine Hilary and thanking all the various cogs. Yuck. I dont know why, but that really really annoyed me. The second thing that really bothered me was that Beyonce sang almost all the nominated songs. I like Crazy in Love as much as the next gal, but Beyonce doesnt have range when it comes to genre. She sings like an R&B singer, which is fine for her career, but I was sad to hear her do the song from Phantom. They had Josh Groban, why didnt he sing it? And although I havent heard the original, I doubt she was the best pick to sing something from a movie called The Chorus.

All in all though, it was a fine Oscar night. I had never watched them all the way through and was quite pleased. Chris Rock was daring and didnt sell out on his style which was great. And Prince, well, I waited all night to see him and was a little sad he didnt make a better showing. Or at least practiced his lines and the names of the nominees. But I still love him. Of course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home